Most Frequently Asked
Smarter Me was founded in July 2016, by a former Investment Banker and Head of Strategy at a listed company.
We started off as a website where parents can search for all sorts of classes (a marketplace) - from swimming, to taekwondo, to art and music.
But we saw a gap in the the education that our kids are going through, and what they need for their future.
In this fast paced, tech-driven future, where a problem-solving mindset, creativity, collaboration, communication, and resilience are the core skills which humans need, we felt that our kids are ill-prepared.
Which is why we launched the new Smarter Me, a school that equips children and teens with the skillset, mindset and heartset to help them navigate through the future.
All our classes are designed to instill the 4C1R - Critical Thinking, Creativity, Communication, Collaboration, and Resilience, and most importantly - they are designed to be relevant to the real world, and as realistic as possible.
We specialise in 5 Masteries - Coding, Robotics, Entrepreneurship, Design Thinking and Financial Literacy, underpinned by Mindfulness and Happiness.
You can read more here.
Or watch these videos:
We (and our founder) have also been featured in a few articles:
Our classes are delivered through two models:
- As holiday camps, and
- As online lessons
We do not have a fixed centre. Our holiday camps are held at various centrally located venues such as City Hall (Downtown), Ayer Rajah (West), and Mountbatten (East). Please check the camp page to see where the specific location is.
For our online lessons, they are conducted through a video conference - so students can log in and join the class comfortably from home. Or wherever they are.
Our unique value proposition and differentiating factors:
- Our teachers are practitioners - Ex-MOE teachers and Curriculum Director of The Keys Academy, serial entrepreneurs, Lead UX Designer at Grab...These are just a brief of the background of our teachers.
- Real-world applicability - Students don't just learn for the sake of learning. They will also put themselves to the test as they apply their new-found knowledge on real-world corporate challenges.
- Convenient - Why be obsessed with limiting screen time? Could we instead think of how we can help our kids become creators of technology instead of consumers? 2 hours a week spent learning a relevant skill that will help their future, in the comfort of your own house, without the need for parents to send them to one more class. Now isn't that a winner?
And we had our own kids go through these courses!
For holiday camps: We have a maximum size of 20 per camp, and we maintain a 1:10 teacher to student ratio. Your child will usually work in pairs or small groups of 3-4 students throughout camp, whenever they are building robots or their business. Your children's learning experience and enjoyment, as well as safety, is our top priority
For online classes: The class size is 4 to 10 students per class.
There are 2 key reasons:
- To facilitate regional collaboration and community: The more students that learn together, the more collaboration, the more cool, fantastic, groundbreaking ideas!
- To make it affordable for you: There are some classes out there, but at double our prices. We believe in making future-skills education accessible to all, not just the rich, and this will allow us to do
That being said, we monitor all the classes closely and should the teachers and us feel that the class is too big to give our students the learning they deserve, we may take steps to adjust the class size.